Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Hosted by Imageshack

Monday, November 26, 2007

BNP Paribas Workshop: Day 1

Learned from Milette that breakfast is not included in the package, so I told Jon to find a place to eat as I rushed to get to the hotel lobby by 8:00 am so I could take the shuttle bus going to the IFC tower where the BNP Paribas offices are. Met the other participants to the workshop at the lobby.

On the trip to IFC, learned from Milette that had she not left a message for me yesterday, I would probably have a hard time when I checked in because I was actually booked under a different surname. She was initially told that no "Reyes" was booked in the hotel. When she tried my first name, she was told that someone with my name was indeed booked there, but her surname was "F". Milette said that it was a good thing she remembered my "motherfucker" joke, so she remembered my middle initial. The hotel then changed my name details when they discovered the error.

2007-1125-28-hk 131 (Small)Boyet and Reena, Filipino traders working in BNP Paribas HK and handling Philippine based banks, greeted us at the lobby of the IFC2 and handed out our visitor IDs. We then proceeded to the 63rd floor where the workshop is going to be held.

The room has a nice view of the harbor so we took pictures.

All the participants ate lunch together. We tried out the Watermark restaurant which was located at the nearby Pier.

When the workshop was over, we all took a ride to The Peak where we ate at Cafe Deco, situated at the Peak Galleria. Since it would take a few minutes to prepare the food we ordered, Milette stepped out of the restaurant to check out the Galleria shops. She ended up buying shoes and a cheap, but genuine Samsonite laptop bag ... it was cheap because it was out of season - but people in Metro Manila don't care about laptop bags being out of season anyway. I saw a pair of shoes which I probably wouldn't buy in Metro Manila if I was looking for quality, but I decided to buy them anyway because the store has a pair in my size ... and it is hard to find cheap comfy shoes in large sizes in the Philippines.

Cafe Deco uses candlelight for illumination, and I only have my phone camera with me, so the pictures I took were dark:
2007-1125-28-hk 132 (Small) 2007-1125-28-hk 133 (Small)

After dinner, we stepped out to the balcony and found it was cold and windy. The balcony offers a great view of the city but my hands were shaky from the wind and cold that my pictures were blurry:
2007-1125-28-hk 137 (Small) 2007-1125-28-hk 134 (Small) 2007-1125-28-hk 135 (Small) 2007-1125-28-hk 140 (Small) 2007-1125-28-hk 139 (Small)

Across the Peak Galleria, we could see the Peak Tower with a lot of tourists lining up at the entrance. I also saw that one level of the tower is occupied by EA games - the makers of SIMS2, which happens to be my favorite video game. Also, we could see that there is a viewing deck just below the balcony we were standing on.

This is a picture of us on the Cafe Deco balcony, taken from Nicole's camera:
DSC00329r (Small)

Told myself I would bring my camera the next day.

While I was attending the seminar, Jon was touring Hong Kong by himself . He found out where the KFC and McDonald's restaurants are... and they were actually very near the hotel - if only we knew which exits from the Admiralty Station to take yesterday.

He took these pictures using my camera:
Jon's Misc. HK Trip photos 26-Nov-2007


The last 7 photos in the album were taken from our hotel room using his camera.

No comments: